Wednesday, November 23, 2011

1896 Remington Bicycles Catalog

Today I am adding a beautifully illustrated 1896 Remington Bicycles catalog to the Fat Tire Trading Post Catalog Archive
Remington is best known for their guns , they are still in business today,  see   Remington Defense.
While researching Remington, I found this New York Times article from 1903, about Remington ending their production of bicycles. There were other gun manufacturers that also made bicycles, BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) and Iver Johnson, I have several of each in my collection. I don't remember ever seeing a Remington bicycle, while searching the web I found a tandem and an article about Remington at the Forney Museum of Transportation.
One of the bikes that I find interesting is Model 23 Ladies Diamond. "The introduction of suitable costume has fortunately made it possible for ladies to enjoy riding a diamond-frame type of wheel".  This is the first diamond frame for ladies that I am aware of, it weighed only 22 pounds.


Remington frames were made with German Mannesman taper turned tubes, and were brazed from the inside. They made their own cranks which were cotter-less and used a 3 sided taper on the bottom bracket spindle.
Due to the thickness of the catalog and the stiffness of its binding it was difficult to scan.

No comments:

Post a Comment